• Persons who have membership with the library can use the library facilities. • Others who are serious of consulting books in the library may do so with the permission of the Librarian or in his absence, of the senior most members of the staff of the library present. Permission can be refused without assigning any reasons therefor. • To be a regular IUB Library member one needs to complete some formalities, such as filling up a prescribed form obtainable from the library, providing passport size photograph, and a copy of the document that proofs affiliation to IUB. However, residence of Bashundhara R/A and adjacent areas, or faculty members of universities of Dhaka city, can apply for the community library membership. It requires National ID, Photograph, proof of residence at Bashundhara R/A or adjacent areas, or the document that proofs the affiliation to a university in Dhaka city. A community library member has to pay a fee for his/her membership. • Regular library members are: o Members of the Board of Trustees of the university o Members of the university faculty/management/staff o Students currently enrolled in the university • Users must ensure that the Library has their correct name and contact details.Membership procedure
A new student has to show his Money Receipt of admission alongwith Identity Card to concern officials at library. After proving himself as a valid student of IUB he/she has to submit a prescribed Membership Form along with one copy of passport sized recent photograph. Moreover, online submission is also mandatory to activate the membership.Charging-Discharging Procedure
• Undergraduate students may borrow books if they have valid library membership. • At present, as per revised circulation rule, An undergraduate student himself/herself may borrow (03 books + 03 BooksCD/DVD) + 1 Movie for 10 days, and graduate student himself/herself may borrow (05 books + 05 BooksCD/DVD) + 2 Movies respectively for 15 days. Circulation rule may be changed as per policy. • Course related reserved/reference textbooks marked with a green ‘R’ may be borrowed for only two hours and other reference books, marked with red ‘R’, are reserved for use inside the Library. • Check-Out time from the Library is 15 minutes prior to the Library closes. • Library materials issued against an ID number of a student remain the responsibility of the concerned student. • If a student fails to return the Library materials on time he/she will have to pay fine. The fine is for general collection Tk. 10/= per day and for reserved collection Tk.10/= per hour. • Overdue fine should be calculated from the date/time mentioned on the due slip of the material. • Users must settle any overdue loan before they are permitted to borrow again.Use of Library Space
• Library opening hours are determined by the Librarian. They may be changed from time to time and notice of any alterations will be given on the Library website. • The Library is a place for silent private study; users’ behavior should reflect this, and they should respect the needs of others. • Users should adhere to all notices and signage of the library. • Silence is required throughout the library. • Consultations, discussions, group study etc should not be held in the general study area of the library. • Mobile phone must be switched off before entering the library and should not be used in anywhere within the library premises. • Personal possessions should not be allowed in the library, except exercise book (khata), pen, geometry box, calculator and laptop. • Library baggage counter is for keeping personal possessions including private books. Bags, briefcases, etc should be left at the baggage counter of the library and a token obtained for those. Of course, do not keep money or other valuables; otherwise, the university authority does not accept responsibility for loss of or damage to the belongings. • The Library reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone without a valid ID Card. • Before entering the Library, the Gate Register is to be signed and the Membership Card shown at the counter. • Visitors without a valid Card may access the Library for reference purposes. There may be restrictions on the use of electronic information sources as a result of licensing agreements. • Library users should not leave personal belongings unattended. The Library accepts no responsibility for personal belongings left unattended. Unattended items may be removed by staff. • Study space may not be ‘reserved’ by leaving personal belongings unattended at table whilst the owner leaves the building. • Reserving any area or facilities in the Library must be authorized by the Library staff. • Users who disturb normal library environment and behave in an offensive manner, will be required to modify their behavior or to leave the library. • Serious offences will be pursued immediately under the university’s codes of discipline and will result in suspension from library facilities pending enquiry. Offences include unrecorded borrowing, theft or concealment of material or equipment, abuse of any sort directed against library staff or other users of the library. • Willful misuse of library facilities may result in membership of the library being terminated. • Library users may be required to present bags for inspection when leaving the building. • Library users are not permitted to remain in the Library when it is closed.How many resources a user can borrow at a time?
At present, as per circulation rule, An undergraduate student himself/herself may borrow (03 books + 03 BooksCD/DVD) + 1 Movie, and a graduate student himself/herself may borrow (05 books + 05 BooksCD/DVD) + 2 Movies respectively a faculty member himself/herself may borrow (10 books + 05 BooksCD/DVD) + 2 Movies respectively.General Rules
• Defacing, mutilating or damaging library items, facilities, equipment, furniture or furnishing or willfully altering or destroying identification marks relating to ownership or location of library items, equipment, furniture or furnishings is prohibited. • Users should comply with licenses and contractual agreements associated with electronic resources. • The Librarian may impose a fine, charge replacement cost, and/or suspend borrowing privileges of authorized users, for breaches of the Library Rules. • Users with either overdue fine or lost library book(s) or both will be denied clearance until the said balances are settled. • The penalties and fines payable for infringements of the Library Rules are determined by the Librarian and set out on the Library website.Legal Issues
• No Library material may be reproduced for commercial purposes nor used for any other commercial purpose. • Personal details of Library users may not be disclosed to other users. Library staff may however disclose information on the loans of individual users for the purposes of disciplinary procedures. • Copying, scanning and printing facilities are provided on the condition that the Library users making photocopies do so in accordance with the Copyright Act.Notes
• Library users and Library staff will interact with mutual respect and consideration. • Library staff members are charged with the duty of giving service to you as well as enforce library regulations.Stay in touch
Contact us to receive help and support from our friendly, knowledgeable staff. You can also share your feedback or make a suggestion and follow the IUB Library on social media to receive helpful tips and up-to-date information about our services.